Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Slowly Getting Things Done

I've started to have the problem that I wake up at 4:00 AM thinking about things that need to get done for the wedding. Call this person, call that person, call reception venues, visit reception venues, figure out a date, call the officiant, call the organist, pick a date, tell the church the date, pick colors, order a dress, find a reception venue, ask parents for money, and on and on.

So it feels good that we're going to check out our first reception venue tonight, Sweeney's Saloon. It hadn't occurred to me to look into them until Erica suggested it (thanks). I'm pretty excited, because it seems too good to be true: in St. Paul, cheap, and not ugly. They are one of my favorite bars in St. Paul and I'm sure everyone would have a great time there. And according to their party coordinator they are open the last two Saturdays of September. Only snag would be that they don't have much parking, mostly on the surrounding streets. However the parking would be free.

Anthony and I are going up North for Grandma Albrecht's Dumpling Sunday this weekend and so I'm taking the opportunity to dress shop with my mom and the maids up there. I don't think there will be any purchasing however, because I've been researching having a dress made via an ebay seller.

I've been grilling the seller with fabric questions, foundation questions, and image requests. I've also been searching for reviews of their shop on wedding forums. So far, it looks as though people have been happy customers and pleased with the fit, style and quality.
This is what I want.
Here's what they sent me.
They mentioned that this was for someone who was very tall, thus the added fabric. Otherwise, it's pretty close to the real $4000 thing but for only $600. The flounced lace at the bottom seems like it needs lining though.

And I still need to talk to Anthony's Aunt about making my dress - but she might not have enough time. We'll see.

Next week, we are meeting with a photographer. The same one who took pictures when I worked on Mary Olson's state senate campaign and currently works for the State House of Representatives. The price is right and I'm hoping he can do a nice photo journalistic style that we can edit into amazing photos.

Yay!

5 comments:

  1. You're welcome about the suggestion. I knew you were looking for places when I saw that community post. "Wedding reception, cheap, St. Paul" made me think of you instantly. It's a lovely coincidence that you already like the place.
    - Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie - it's too early to be waking up thinking about that kind of stuff!! (Although I'm pretty sure my mom does that). I got a book called "The Bride's Essential Wedding Planner" - it's been super helpful, and it helped me make really detailed month by month (and for the last 2 months, week by week) lists that are kept on my computer. At the beginning of the month I send them to Cliff, my mom, and sister (maid of honor) with assigned tasks - when people are done with their tasks (or when I get emails from vendors), they send an email out to the whole group so we all know what's going on all the time. It helps to have it not all on my shoulders and people have been super excited to help with things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the double comment - have you guys talked at all about ceremonies yet? We're pretty much writing ours and are looking for ideas for readings/song - if you have any, shoot them our way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Two things. Put a pad of paper and a pen on your nightstand. Then you can write the stuff down and you'll get back to sleep because you'll know you won't forget. Two - Weddings for Dummies is what it's all about!! Although, that thing Julie G does sounds good... I don't know I shouldn't talk. I didn't really plan much for my wedding. Just the food and the boy I suppose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura and Julie G - Thanks for the tips. I think that would help Anthony (an event planner by trade) feel a little better about my wishy-washyness. I'm a bit laissez-faire and he'd like me to be more definitive.

    And I have this fuzzy idea of what I want our ceremony to be like. I want it to be joyous and comfortable. Not solemn and serious. I want the congregation to participate a lot, not just watch. I want it to be meaningful and I want a lot of music. But, specifics I'm not so sure on yet.

    ReplyDelete